Destination Outdoors: Outdoor Learning for Primary Schools
24th and 25th February, 2018.
Outdoor Connections is excited to be able to offer Destination Outdoors: Outdoor Learning for Primary Schools as a comprehensive course designed for educators. It is an Australian designed course specifically suited to the Australian and NSW curriculum documents. The course is suitable for Primary School Teachers, Primary School Executive Staff, School Support Officers – Primary (Early Childhood Educators, Special Education Staff and others are also very welcome – please get in touch if you have any questions).
Destination Outdoors: Outdoor Learning for Primary Schools is located in the beautiful natural environment at Gerroa, just 90 minutes south of Sydney. Get some teacher friends together and make a weekend of it! Or come along and meet like minded new colleagues. The beach, bush, enriching professional development and outdoor learning skills for your everyday teaching, Destination Outdoors: Outdoor Learning for Primary Schools really does have it all.
Destination Outdoors: Outdoor Learning for Primary Schools will contribute 10 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 2.1.2, 2.3.2, 3.2.2, 3,4,2, 4.2.2 and 4.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
What to expect:
- Indoor theory sessions to introduce place-based, experiential and constructivist pedagogies.
- Practical lesson planning utilising the NSW K-6 Syllabus documents.
- Outdoor sessions, immersed in nature where you learn the skills to teach outside the classroom.
- To gain the practical competencies to program for and teach outdoors.
- A collaborative, safe and supportive environment to learn new skills, share ideas and learn from industry experts.
- Reading list for further info and research.
- An introduction to the outdoor learning; routines, games, resources, practicalities, weather, risk assessment and benefit
- Curriculum modules; literacy learning and story play, messy maths, creative arts, geography fieldwork and nature play.
- A guide to educational playgrounds for outdoor learning.
- Approximately 90 minutes south of Sydney.
- Gerroa Neighbourhood Centre – 37 Stafford St, Gerroa
- Seven Mile Beach National Park – We are proud supporters of National Parks NSW and hold ECO Pass credentials to use their land.
The NESA registered course was developed by Dr Amanda Lloyd for Outdoor Connections Australia Australia 2017, she is an Australian leading expert in outdoor learning, Planet Ark Spokeswoman and keynote speaker. Amanda leads the Outdoor Connections Australia Professional Development Team, utilising her extensive educational knowledge. She is equipped with 17 years teaching experience, including time spent in leadership positions. Her impressive qualifications include a: Bachelor of Education (Primary), Graduate Certificate of Outdoor Education, Masters of Environment (Education for Sustainability) and Forest School Level 3 Instructors Training. Amanda’s PhD examined place-based outdoor learning in a Primary School. Her passion is assisting other teachers to implement outdoor learning in their programs.
Penny Sadubin has a distinctive set of experiences and qualifications that make her a vital component of the Outdoor Connections Australia Professional Development Team. She is an artist, landscape designer and educator. The landscape around us is the vital thread that links all of Penny’s work. Penny’s qualifications include a: Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting), City and Guilds Garden Design, Vectorworks for Garden Design and Forest School Level 3 Instructors Training. Drawing on her varied experiences and qualifications, Penny leads the Creative Arts and Playgrounds workshops.
Costs & booking:
- Cost includes: qualified and experienced instructors, a completion certificate, a guided bushwalk, day outdoor equipment use, craft supplies, first aid, hall hire, NPWS land fees, booking fee, tea and coffee (a real coffee from the Blue Swimmer for morning tea each day), simple BBQ and salad lunches* cooked in the National Park and an end of weekend celebration cake.
- Bookings at https://www.trybooking.com/eventlist/teacherpd
*Vegetarians and other diets can be catered for, please let us know your needs.
Outdoor Connections are an inclusive organisation and we strive to make our workshops and sessions accessible to all. If you have a disability or particular needs please let us know your requirements so that we can take necessary measures to accommodate you.
Outdoor Connections Australia ABN: 56511427639
All enquiries via email please as we are often outdoors and away from good phone service. We aim to answer all enquiries promptly.